Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Hills Are Alive...

Ok, so something that is really important to me and Sara is music. In fact, when we are not running cheerfully through the woods, we spend a lot of time singing and helping with the choirs here at the children's home. So it is pretty important that we create a great playlist to listen to while we run. Granted, as much as possible, we run together, since that is way better than any playlist, but there are a lot of days when it is just me and the iPod.

The good news is that I broke down and bought my own iPod Shuffle. It had to be done, really. My gigantic freakin 160 GB iPod Video just wasn't cutting it on the runs. And the boys from my cottage were starting to get suspicious when I wouldn't return their Shuffles for days at a time. They are pretty smart for a bunch of 7-9 year olds - dang!
So, armed with my new Shuffle, it was time to weed through all of my 5876 songs and come up with a hundred and something to put on there. Here's the thing: to quote Whoopi Goldberg from the classic movie Sister Act 2 (haha), I am a pretty eclectic when it comes to my musical taste. I have everything from AC/DC to Steven Curtis Chapman to Akon to some lady singing classical music in French, and everything in between.
When I am running, the main thing I look for in music is something that I can sing to and that really pumps me up. I have found that I either need something extremely spiritually encouraging (a la "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" or"Mighty to Save"), or something extremely lame that I can rock out to (a la "We are the Champions" or "Eye of the Tiger").

So here is a little taste of what's playing when I'm running:

"Here Comes the Hotstepper" by Ini Kamoze - You may not think you know this song, but trust me, you do. (Here comes the hotstepper, murderer, I'm the lyrical gangster, murderer, Excuse me, Mr. Officer...) I mean, it doesn't make much sense, but if that doesn't put you in a good mood, come on...



"Let God Arise" and "Sing, Sing, Sing" by Chris Tomlin - Both of these are on the Passion "God of this City" CD. I cannot get enough of it!! So good!



"Precious Lord, Take My Hand/Just a Closer Walk With Thee" by Selah - In my opinion, the greatest recording of either of these songs. Plus the lyrics ("I am tired, I am weak, I am worn," "I am weak, but Thou art strong") seem pretty appropriate.



"Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" by Beyonce - This is a great song. Bonus: I always picture the SNL spoof with Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg dancing behind Beyonce in leotards and high heels...if you haven't seen it, google it. HILARIOUS.





"I Can't Get Next To You" by The Temptations - Another great classic song...bonus points to the person who can tell me what movie this makes me think of. (Hint: it was filmed in Texas)



"Shackles" by Mary Mary feat. Kirk Franklin - mostly because when I am running, I feel like I have actual shackles on my feet that I need God to remove.




"The World's Greatest" by R. Kelly - because hey, the truth is the truth








"The Thong Song" by Sisqo - first of all, haters, let me say that this is the edited version...but honestly, I love this song. It reminds me of my senior year of high school, and it pretty much just makes me happy...



"In Me" by Casting Crowns - Although this is not the most upbeat song in the world, this is a song that has been a huge encouragement to me in life in general, so I thought I would apply it to running as well. (My favorite lyrics : "When I'm weak, You make me strong. When I'm blind, You shine Your light on me. 'Cause I'll never get by living on my own ability...so I'll stand on Your truth and I'll fight with Your strength, 'til You bring the victory by the power of Christ in me")



"Rhythm in Me" and "The Miracle Song" from the Altar Boyz soundtrack - I saw this show the last time I was in New York, and I am pretty much in love with this CD. I highly recommend you check it out.





"I Run To You" by Plus One, "Ready to Run" by the Dixie Chicks, and "Run to You" by Whitney Houston - because come on, running puns are funny.






"Footloose" by Kenny Loggins - Who doesn't love Kevin Bacon?? (Side note - did you hear they are doing a remake of this with Zac Efron??)






"We Are The Champions" and "We Will Rock You" by Queen - it had to be done


"Joyful, Joyful" from the Sister Act 2 soundtrack - yes, I have the soundtrack (SHUT UP)...I already told you, this is a classic in my book. :-)






"Everything" by Michael Buble - I like to pretend he is running alongside and serenading me.



"O Sifuni Mungu" by UMHB's One Voice circa 2001-2002 - only a few of you will appreciate the significance of this one, but I used to love to hear them sing this in college. I mean it's not every day that you get to hear Spencer sing in Swahili.



"That's Not My Name" by The Ting Tings - This is quite possibly the dumbest and the most fabulous song all rolled into one.






"Defying Gravity" from the Wicked soundtrack - "and if I'm flying solo, (which I very well may be by the end of the race), at least I'm flying free..."




"Marvelous Light" by Charlie Hall - this one talks about running into marvelous light, which I'm pretty sure is referring to heaven or the Lord or something like that. For this purpose, however, I am seeing it more like a "light at the end of the tunnel" kind of thing.



"Heart Over Head Over Heels" by Clay Walker - Any song with the lyrics "you throw me girl like a tumbleweed on a Tilt-A-Whirl" can't be wrong.






"Some Days You Gotta Dance" by the Dixie Chicks - because, let's face it, some days you really do. (that one's for you, Jen :-) )






"It's Good To Be Alive" by Geoff Moore and the Distance - I have a feeling I am going to need a reminder somewhere around mile 11 or so.



So that is just a snippet of what I am working with music-wise. Feel free to add any of your own suggestions in the comments section. I still have 10 and a half LONG weeks to go.

Happy Trails!

4 comments:

  1. i think i need to copy this playlist! sounds like fun. . but don't think i'll be running and listening to it. . . the elliptical is about as good as it gets for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the playlist as well, i'm thinking about putting it on the ipod! ( ;
    good luck girls! i can't imagine running that much i struggle with a full mile without stopping on the treadmill!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do have to say i like running to the beach boys greatest hits!!! ( ; they're almost all upbeat

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah!! i love your playlist!! i never knew he was saying "murderer" in Here Comes the Hotstepper. i've always just mumbled that word. so thanks for that.
    tell sara to take a look at my blog. i posted a conversation i had with colby about rebecca. i think she'd like to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete